At this point, I’ve ended the fantasy of finishing early. Now I’m aiming for on-time. The crazy thing is, I think I’ll make it.
I’ve been up and down with the productivity. I’ve been working every day, but some days the work goes faster than others. Overall, I’ve been pleased with how tight the book is as I’ve been rereading it. For the most part, I’m just doing little tweaks with regard to word choice and punctuation. But I have found a few snafus. I must admit to the occasional gasp as I’ve stumbled on them, I mean the book is nearly done, should I really still be finding these?? But that is one of the reasons why I am doing this final read.
One of the snafus was actually a result of my last round of major edits in which I added a nice little twist. As I was rereading, I discovered an action that a character took was no longer congruent with the new twist. It was a relatively simple, but very important fix. I’m glad that I caught it. I would tell you what it was, but that would be a spoiler.
So as I pack it in for the night, I stand at 72% for the final read through. I’ll stay up late a few nights this week in order to continue to move the needle, but I fully expect to need Fri night/Sat morning to finish the read, add the dedication etc., finish packaging it up, and release it. I’ve got a busy week in store, but all in all, I’m in good shape.